Thursday, August 10, 2006

Cricket World welcomes Chris


Chris Broad, ICC Match Referee and former England opening batsman, has joined Cricket World® as Media Consultant.

“It’s great to have Chris on board” says Alastair Symondson, Editor of Cricket World®. “He has a wealth of experience, as a player, coach and currently as an ICC match referee”

Chris Broad, known for wearing his heart on his sleeve on the field, played for Gloucestershire, Nottinghamshire and England. “I’m thrilled and delighted to be involved” says Chris, “not only on the magazine side of things but also with the website. The reporting of cricket is expanding as fast as the game and I can’t wait to be a part of that”.

Chris has become a key member of the ICC match team. “As a match referee I am the ICCs representative. I am there to make sure that anything wrong – from an unsatisfactory pitch right through to poor food- is rectified. My priority is to keep the game moving and that is at the core of the match referees criteria”. Recent issues such as bowling actions and over rates have kept match referees on their toes.

Away from the stress and controversy of the International game Chris is an eight handicap and man about the house; “Golf is something I’m very keen on, it keeps me fit and apart from walking the dog it’s the only exercise I really get”. Although Chris retired from the game in 1995 his son Stuart is carving himself a name as a rising star in the county game, “I dedicate a lot of my time to watching my son play”.

Watching his son play has not tempted Chris back to the crease; “I don’t miss playing in the slightest, the body told me enough was enough and I haven’t missed playing since. I do miss is the camaraderie of the dressing room though; the banter between team mates is unique. But having said that the umpiring community has a great spirit and we get on really well.”

Chris is off to Sri Lanka on the 11th Aug for the ODI series with South Africa and then it is the champions’ trophy.

No comments: